On December 5, 2017 the City Council approved Ordinance 1629 to add Article 21.6 of Chapter 25 to the Municipal Code related to Zoning of Commercial Cannabis and Ordinance 1630 to add Chapter 13A to the Municipal Code related to Commercial Cannabis Business Permits and Regulations.  These ordinances will become effective January 4, 2018.  

Ordinance 1629 & Ordinance 1630
Resolution 6982

The regulations allow for consideration of up to six (6) conditional use permits for cannabis uses which may be located in the Industrial or Industrial/Light Industrial Flex Overlay zones (General Plan).  Uses may be collocated on one CUP approved site.

Please see the 2035 General Plan Land Use Map to view land use location.
In addition, you may view the following map which provides the location of all parcels with Industrial or Light Industrial designation.
Please view the attached Sensitivity Overlay Map to determine those parcel that may fall within a 600-foot buffer from sensitive uses.

A proposed commercial cannabis business must receive approval from the City prior to applying for a state license.

The City of Woodland will begin accepting applications for Cannabis Conditional Use Permits after January 17, 2018.  

Both a Cannabis Conditional Use Permit and Cannabis Business Permits will be required for each use.

Cannabis Application Review Process Flow Chart

In addition to complying with all applicable requirements in this Article and obtaining a state license for commercial cannabis activities, no commercial cannabis use may operate in the City without first obtaining a cannabis business permit.

Conditional Use Permits and requests for Site Plan and Design Review are known as Planning Entitlements. Planning entitlement applications for commercial cannabis applications shall be filed with the Planning Division at the Community Development Department, 300 First Street, Woodland, CA 95695, Monday through Thursday between the hours of 1:00 PM and 4:00 PM. Applications for Conditional Use Permits will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Use these links to view the Cannabis Conditional Use Permit (CUP) application, General Application form, and the Agreement for Advance of Funds

Application review fees are deposit based fees, and associated fee agreement is required.

Cannabis Business Permit must be obtained prior to a business beginning operating and is valid for a period of one year.
Once you have submitted a complete application for a Conditional Use Permit, you can submit an application for a Cannabis Business Permit.
Cannabis Business Permit – Manufacturing
Cannabis Business Permit – Distribution
Cannabis Business Permit – Testing Laboratory

All applications must submit proof that a Live Scan has been completed for all interested parties. The location of local services that provide Live Scan services may be found at the Office of the Attorney General. Please click here for the Live Scan form.
​         DOJ Information
         ORI (Code Assigned by DOJ) is CA0570300
         Mail Code (Five-digit code assigned by DOJ) is 04866

Please review this information regarding Security Requirements.

There are three licensing authorities with the State that are responsible for licensing commercial cannabis uses.
Information regarding the three licensing authorities may be found here:

•   Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch, a division of the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), is responsible for regulating and licensing manufactures of cannabis-infused edibles. Manufacturing license types allowed in Woodland include (Types 6, 7, N, P). The State’s explanation of those licenses can be found at the following link:
•   Bureau of Cannabis Control (Bureau), is the lead agency and is responsible for regulating commercial cannabis uses for retailers, distributors, microbusiness, testing laboratories, and temporary cannabis events.
•   CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing, a division of the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) is responsible for licensing cultivators (including a cultivation “Processor”). Cultivation activities are not allowed in the City of Woodland.

You may contact staff by:
Email -
Phone - (530)661-5820.

On June 27, 2017, the Governor signed SB 94, a budget trailer bill that became effective immediately, to consolidate state licensing of medicinal and recreational “adult-use” cannabis businesses in a single regulatory scheme titled the Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act” (MAUCRSA). 

The purpose of SB 94 was to, among other things, consolidate the state licensing scheme of commercial cannabis businesses set forth in Proposition 64, approved by the voters on November 8, 2016, with the legislation enacted by the State in 2015 regarding medical cannabis businesses. The distinction between medical and adult-use cannabis remains in the state law (designated by an “M” or an “A” prefix on the license type), but the overall licensing requirements and process is now consolidated to be the same for both medical and adult-use cannabis businesses.

Some jurisdictions in California are adopting zoning ordinances to allow commercial cannabis uses. Proposition 64 establishes up to 19 different categories of state licenses for commercial cannabis, including commercial cultivation, manufacturing, testing, distribution, and dispensary/retail sales. Proposition 64 also authorized the State of California to begin issuing commercial cannabis licenses to entities as of January 1, 2018 if the business activity is also permitted under applicable local (i.e. city) ordinance.

On September 16, 2017, the Governor signed AB 133 into law, which further amended State law regarding commercial cannabis businesses.  Of particular significance, AB 133 amended the law to allow operators to conduct multiple and different types of commercial activities on the same physical premises. 

This website is provided as a resource for general information for members of the public.  
The information on this website may be incomplete, contain errors, or change without notice. 
The information provided is not intended as legal advice and should not be relied
upon without first consulting a qualified attorney.